Welcome to MyVideoGameList!
Not a member? We'd love to have you join our community. On MyVideoGameList you can create your own profile, keep track of your video games, meet new friends, and even write reviews on your favorite games (or even for games you hated). We currently have 68934 members, 39070 games in our database and 15611 forum threads. So what are you waiting for? Registration is free and only takes a few seconds! If you love video games, then come join our community! Click on the little blue icon with the controller in the upper right corner.
Hello fellow gamers!
We all enjoyed the first MVGL SSBU Online Tournament, so we thought: why not have another one? That's right, on July 20/21 we'll be having another tournament! Check the link below for more information on how to sign up!
jimmyb on February 10, 2019 @ 1:48 pm
Hello fellow gamers,
We're happy to announce that we will be hosting our first Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Tournament in March 2019! Head to the forums for more information!
jimmyb on January 04, 2019 @ 6:16 pm
We want to thank everyone who participated in last year's Gaming Challenge, we hope you had lots of fun playing all kinds of different games! Now it's time to honor the seven brave participants who completed their challenge in 2018!
- K0rzina – Difficulty: hard
- HyperDebtRay – Difficulty: hard
- therewerebells – Difficulty: easy
- bergdoll – Difficulty: hardcore
- Aramandur – Difficulty: hardcore
- Mircul – Difficulty: hardcore
- Takashimai – Difficulty: hard
jimmyb on January 02, 2019 @ 11:26 am
Hello fellow gamers!
Some of you might have participated in the MVGL's Gaming Challenge 2018, so we are happy to announce we have a new challenge for you this year! If you're interested, come take a look at it in the forum and find out if you're gaming enthusiast enough to participate! Good luck!
Remember, you can sign up anytime!
jimmyb on December 24, 2018 @ 2:00 pm
Red Dead Redemption 2
Picked by bergdoll
2018 was a backlog year for me, and while playing through the classics is all fine and dandy, it meant counting this year's offerings on one hand. Therefore this year's GOTY will have to be a safe and obvious pick. Still, I think it's safe to say that the polish and immersion of Red Dead Redemption II gives any competitors a run for their money. With an extensive world full of activity, plenty of attention to detail and Rockstar's writing chops, Red Dead Redemption II is an experience worth its salt. The wild west is better realized than ever here, with more powerful hardware than the predecessor to back it up and a borderline simulation approach RDR2 captures the tone and atmosphere of the period perfectly. The cast got an upgrade in screen presence as well with up towards 20 highly memorable characters each with an unique personality. The gameplay might not be much to write home about but gets the job done. If you want an extensive period drama to immerse yourself into then this is the game for you!
Picked by falotforonke
Ever since I played the first demo of Octopath Traveler, I eagerly awaited its release on the Nintendo Switch. Several months passed, and it finally came out in July 2018. I was already certain I would enjoy the game, but now I think that's an understatement. From the amazing graphic design to the marvelous soundtrack and it's incredible fun battle system, everything in this game just shines, while paying homage to the classic JRPGs of the 90s. If you love RPGs and own a Nintendo Switch, you should absolutely get this game, it's definitely worth it.
Picked by VilkaTheWolf
It was a tough call for my favourite game of 2018, between this, God of War and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. However, I’ve been looking forward to this game for at least five years and it was well worth the wait. All of the mistakes THQ made with Darksiders II were seemingly fixed by THQ Nordic, the gameplay is back to how it was in the first instalment. In Darksiders III, players control Fury – the next Horseman of the Apocalypse, on Earth during her brother War’s 100 year imprisonment. Fury must hunt down each of the Seven Deadly Sins who have escaped from their own imprisonment. Many ‘game journalists’ compared the game to Dark Souls on account of it being slightly hard and sharing some common tropes. All I can say is, this game is not Dark Souls, although it may share some minor similarities in gameplay. Playing this game on launch day meant that there were no walkthroughs available, so it was fun for me to actually work things out for myself (if you play this game, I do recommend merely working things out yourself if you’re stuck). Summing up; Darksiders III is a very fun and rewarding game and I hope they make a sequel.
jimmyb on December 28, 2017 @ 2:07 pm
Hey, fellow gamers! Happy Holidays!
So this year is coming to an end & we planned something special for 2018 since we want to bring our community more together here at MVGL. It involves videogames, of course!
Some of our users may know the MAL Annual Anime/Manga Challenge, so here in MVGL we thought about a videogame challenge!
What is it about? During 2018 you'll be playing videogames based on different challenges and difficulty.
The fun thing about this challenge is that it's a great way to learn about new games, play genres that you wouldn't even consider playing and, why not, get to know more people!
Remember you can sign up anytime!
jimmyb on November 28, 2017 @ 10:54 pm
Greetings fellow gamers!
We've been adding several new fixes into the site, as well as one major feature. We hope everyone had a great November, and got to play a lot of games. Did anyone get anything new during the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales? We snagged the new Wolfenstein game along with Minecraft: Story Mode - Season 2!
- We've added a bunch more fixes and updates into our new email queuing system (hopefully it runs smoother!)
- We resolved an issue with the gamer feed showing incorrectly in the sidebar on certain pages
- A bug in the donation block was resolved
- We fixed UTF-8 characters showing improperly in email notifications
- We resolved an issue with showing the wrong forum posts on user profile pages, the correct ones should show up now
- Users can now select consoles they own to show off on the sidebar of their profile
A feature request which has been pending for quite some time has been brought to light. The hold up was due to the lack of a graphics artist. Our very own bergdoll has stepped up and designed 50+ graphics for usage with this feature. You can head over to 'Edit Profile > Game Consoles' and select the consoles you own (or have owned or whatever you'd like to use the feature for) and they'll be displayed on the right sidebar of your profile. We'll continually add new consoles as they come out and are added into our database. If you haven't already given this feature a go, DO IT NOW! It's awesome!
FalotForonke and Nagizuma are also working on something for everyone. We hope to provide more news about that within the next month or so. I think you're all really going to like it. It'll bring our community even closer with some fun things!
Have a safe, happy and game filled holiday season!
jimmyb on November 18, 2017 @ 9:39 am
Hello everyone! As 2017 is coming to a close we wanted to share our favorite games of the year. We've all been working on and playing tons of great games this year, but the following stood out as the ones we enjoyed the most. If you haven't played them yourself, we definitely recommend them!
Picked by jimmyb
I had a tough time trying to figure out which game I really enjoyed the most this year, so I went with PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUND. While it's definitely the most anxiety-inducing game I've ever played, I can definitely say each time I played I had a lot of fun. Having never played this genre of game before, PLAYERUNKNOW'S does a good job of making things dead on simple. Gear up, get weapons and attempt to stay alive until the end! While 99% of the matches I played ended within 5-10 minutes, I thoroughly enjoyed the wide variety of outfits, and weapons one is capable of collecting throughout the map. The current map itself is huge and with 100 gamers in the match, it certainly leads to some tense and action-packed moments. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2 new maps which I hope come out this coming year, as well as the Xbox One release in a little under a month!
Resident Evil 7: biohazard
Picked by morgan
As a huge fan of the Resident Evil series, I was very happy to see the game return to more of its roots. While definitely much better then the 5th and 6th game in the series, it wasn't exactly like the 1st and 2nd games. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed working my way through the old Baker family house. The attention to details, puzzles, and story kept me entertained throughout the game. I have yet to work on the DLC but I'm sure it'll be fun!
Picked by bergdoll
2B or not 2B game of the year, that is the question. In this sequel to the 2010 action RPG Nier, the eccentric Yoko Taro brings us more of his unique design choices, tragic stories, and philosophical musings and I've been having a blast with it. The masters of spectacle combat PlatinumGames (Bayonetta, Vanquish) are the developers this time around which brings welcome improvement to the gameplay of the first one. In terms of gameplay, I'm particularly fond of the bullet hell mechanics which spices up the regular hack n' slash combat significantly. In terms of story, themes and characters I'm fond of how it plays to the medium's strengths, Nier: Automata would hardly work as anything but a game. And lastly, in terms of the audiovisual, I absolutely adore the divine soundtrack.
Star Wars Battlefront II
Picked by VilkaTheWolf
Star Wars Battlefront 2 has gotten a lot of negative feedback within its first 3 days of release. However, this negative feedback was mostly aimed at the multiplayer and the loot box system. The single-player campaign is a well-written masterpiece that was also fun to play. Throughout the single-player campaign, ?you will play as many classic heroes and a new hero made for this game (Iden Versio). I finished the campaign in a day (on easy lol), but not to worry because add-ons to the campaign story are coming December 12. I look forward to the new stories involving Iden Versio and the rest of the heroes, also looking forward to all upcoming Star Wars games too. If you’re a fan of Star Wars like me I’d recommend this game, only for the single-player though.
Super Mario Odyssey
Picked by falotforonke
I have never been a big fan of the Super Mario franchise; I always found the games to be a little uninspired, dull and not engaging at all when it comes to gameplay. However, Super Mario Odyssey was the most joyful gaming experience I had in a while. Gameplay-wise, it shines with tight and fun controls and well-designed challenges and puzzles; every level shows lovely sceneries with a beautiful soundtrack to accompany them. Even though the game is brandnew, I got some serious nostalgic vibes while playing it. A truly fantastic game, I highly recommend it to anyone owning a Nintendo Switch.
YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters
Picked by nagizuma
As a fan of the first Yo-kai Watch game I was excited to play Yo-kai Watch 2 and now I'm even more happy to play the Psychic Specters version, an updated version of Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. Psychic Specters would be "the Ultimate Edition" between the three versions with even more Yo-kai to befriend and exclusive new quests. I still got a lot more hours of gameplay! With a nice story, lovely music, cool supernatural friends and a lot of stuff to do in the game I enjoy playing Yo-kai Watch 2. For players deciding which version to choose I would highly recommend Psychic Specters without a doubt.
jimmyb on October 30, 2017 @ 3:38 pm
We've been trying to make more of an effort to touch base with everyone on what we've been up to. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their game time. We've been plugging away at the games on our list and trying to make time to work on GitLab cases and resolve issues and add small things into the site when time allows. This go around we've done the following:
- Allow for the hashtag symbol in Battle.net usernames
- We hide the comments section and link to blog comments on blog entries which disallow comments
- We've updated the logo
- We show users forum posts in their profiles (there's a new tab now)
- Several updates to the website's CSS were made
- Updated the verbiage when there's an issue in uploading a new user picture
- You can now see people who have friended you, there's a new tab on the Friends section in user profiles
- The customer ID should now be getting properly set when making donations
- Resolved an issue with incorrect information showing in the donation section
- The site now remembers how you have the sidebar toggled (at least until you quit your web browser)
- We've changed over to Discord for chat (see more below)
- Nintendo Switch and Wii U gamertags / friend codes can now be added to your profile
- Resolved an issue with a missing
atag on one of the forum pages
- We've upgraded to reCAPTCHA v2
- We've built an entirely new email queuing system
The major code update was the rewrite of the email system. We're really hoping this new update allows for the user experience to be a lot better. This will really come into play when you're commenting on game profiles, news articles (like this one), and game reviews. We expect that once you hit the submit for your comment it'll respond and load the page a lot quicker. We'd love to get any feedback from users to see if they're seeing it load any quicker.
As noted above, we've also switched over to using Discord for our chat platform. We hope you'll come and join us! You can join here.
That about wraps it up for this month. Don't eat to much candy tomorrow!
jimmyb on September 20, 2017 @ 8:18 pm
It's been quite some time since we've provided any sort of update (beyond the request for community contributions) so the team felt it would be a good idea to let everyone know what we've been up to!
As always we've been pretty busy outside of work on the site. I personally wish I could donate more development time but it's been pretty tough finding time to sit down and poke through the code. Our database administrators have been working hard to bring in new titles to the database, so I certainly appreciate that!
Development-wise this is what we've completed working on in the last year or so:
- We corrected an issue with the search button not working properly.
- Display issues on public and private profile pages were corrected.
- We fixed a problem with the login and account registration modals from working properly.
- We fixed a bug where you couldn't log into the site from the forums or a page in the forums.
- We identified and fixed several bugs in the new account sign-up process.
- We linked the logo to the main site.
- We updated to newer versions of EmojiOne.
- The modal pop-up when deleting a game from your list was fixed. It wasn't showing up properly.
- We corrected an issue where the search function for the forums wasn't showing up.
- We corrected a display issue for forum posts by banned users.
- We updated styling of forum posts so they look better.
- More stats have been added to user profiles - a number of profile comments, number of games on favorites and wish lists.
- We show the users average rating of games on their profiles.
- A bug with adding and deleting comments from blog entries has been fixed.
- The platform label has been added back to search results.
- We removed the 'Remove Friend' link on public profile pages when you weren't logged in.
- We fixed an issue with adding and removing friends.
- We disallowed people from adding themselves as a friend.
- We added tooltips back to chat user pictures in the chatroom.
- We now cache the most popular games sidebar content. This has greatly improved page loading times across the site.
- An issue with account deletions was resolved.
- We show a start and finish dates along with notes on lists now.
- We've greatly customized the forums backend code so it caters more to our needs, especially with game requesting.
- We show blog views (sort of like the profile hit counter) on the profile pages now.
- We added prettier styling to the pagination on the forums.
- We re-added game linking on game profiles.
- We tied by the newly added games page.
- A typo on the edit profile page was corrected.
- Fixed an issue where all game reviews would show on users profiles instead of only ones that were approved.
- Platform labels on search result pages now link to the platforms page.
- We've paginated the site news.
- On the backend, we've written from the ground up, User, Database, and Game classes. These will greatly help speed up many parts of the website.
- Fixed an issue with setting the hours played for a game.
- We corrected an issue with emoji in the forums.
- An issue with forum post counts was fixed.
- An issue with the source link for the description of a game was fixed.
- The requirement to rate dropped games was removed.
- Verbiage on several pages include the FAQs was fixed.
- We now have the ability to easily turn on and off game requests in the forums.
- We removed the feed privacy option.
- Donations through Stripe are now possible.
- The subject for comments on blog entries has been fixed.
- Resolved an issue with the wrong success and error messages showing when uploading new cover pictures.
- Corrected a bug which set the wrong user permissions when a donation was made.
- Force the site to load in HTTPS. SECURITAH!
- Fixed an issue with special characters not showing properly in the user feed.
- Resolved an issue with a '%' showing up in search results.
- Resolved an error message when a user hadn't rated any games yet.
- Adjusted the 'sign in' icon on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue with a missing Submit button on forum pages.
- Allow special characters in blog entry titles.
- Fixed a bug preventing game profile pages from fully rendering.
- One of the URLs in the new account signup email was broken. Fixed now!
- Fixed a code issue on single blog entry pages.
- Resolved an issue with game reviews not showing up in user profile pages.
- The user picture in the sidebar is now linked to your profile.
- Fixed a bug with genres not showing on game profile pages.
- Corrected a redirection issue on private profile pages.
- Data input validation to gamer tags and social profile usernames has been added.
- Set the modify time on an account when they reset their password.
- Fixed a big bad bug when setting your forum signature.
- Added backend code to handle the new Fan Game Requests forum.
- Added the 'My Forum Posts' tab on user profiles.
So while it may seem like things haven't been happening. We do try to sneak in some development whenever we have a free moment. I greatly appreciate everyone who is reporting bugs and testing things out.
So what are the plans for the coming months and year? Here are a couple things we hope to get going in the near future.
- Complete our email notification system overhaul. This is going to speed up the process when you leave a comment on a news article, on a game, etc...
- Build a group chatroom.
- Finish converting the site over to our new PHP classes.
- Show a platform breakdown on user profiles.
- Allow users to select the consoles they own and show them off in their profiles.
You can see a lot of the features we have accepted and hope to take action on here:
You can even create your own feature requests!
I'd also like to thank anyone who spared $5.00 and helped keep the site afloat. As noted in my blog post 100% of the donations go into server rentals. Myself, nor Morgan, or anyone who volunteers their time has made a single cent from running MyVideoGameList. We do it because we love video games. Hopefully the above gives you a little insight into how much work we do.
I think that will do it for now, until next time!
@jimmyb & The MyVideoGameList Team
Recent Gamer Updates
Sillybbq added a new blog entry!
July 17, 2019 @ 1:18 am
Yibo just joined the site! Go make them feel welcome!
July 17, 2019 @ 1:14 am
Most Popular Games
Added By: 4148 people.
Added By: 3750 people.
Added By: 3404 people.
Added By: 3092 people.
Added By: 2884 people.
Added By: 2837 people.
Added By: 2835 people.
Added By: 2786 people.
Added By: 2742 people.
Added By: 2649 people.