Welcome to MyVideoGameList!
Not a member? We'd love to have you join our community. On MyVideoGameList you can create your own profile, keep track of your video games, meet new friends, and even write reviews on your favorite games (or even for games you hated). We currently have 41257 members, 19327 games in our database and 8164 forum threads. So what are you waiting for? Registration is free and only takes a few seconds! If you love video games, then come join our community! Click on the little blue icon with the controller in the upper right corner.
It's been quite some time since we've provided any sort of update (beyond the request for community contributions) so the team felt it would be a good idea to let everyone know what we've been up to!
As always we've been pretty busy outside of work on the site. I personally wish I could donate more development time but it's been pretty tough finding time to sit down and poke through the code. Our database administrators have been working hard to bring in new titles to the database, so I certainly appreciate that!
Development-wise this is what we've completed working on in the last year or so:
- We corrected an issue with the search button not working properly.
- Display issues on public and private profile pages were corrected.
- We fixed a problem with the login and account registration modals from working properly.
- We fixed a bug where you couldn't log into the site from the forums or a page in the forums.
- We identified and fixed several bugs in the new account sign-up process.
- We linked the logo to the main site.
- We updated to newer versions of EmojiOne.
- The modal pop-up when deleting a game from your list was fixed. It wasn't showing up properly.
- We corrected an issue where the search function for the forums wasn't showing up.
- We corrected a display issue for forum posts by banned users.
- We updated styling of forum posts so they look better.
- More stats have been added to user profiles - a number of profile comments, number of games on favorites and wish lists.
- We show the users average rating of games on their profiles.
- A bug with adding and deleting comments from blog entries has been fixed.
- The platform label has been added back to search results.
- We removed the 'Remove Friend' link on public profile pages when you weren't logged in.
- We fixed an issue with adding and removing friends.
- We disallowed people from adding themselves as a friend.
- We added tooltips back to chat user pictures in the chatroom.
- We now cache the most popular games sidebar content. This has greatly improved page loading times across the site.
- An issue with account deletions was resolved.
- We show a start and finish dates along with notes on lists now.
- We've greatly customized the forums backend code so it caters more to our needs, especially with game requesting.
- We show blog views (sort of like the profile hit counter) on the profile pages now.
- We added prettier styling to the pagination on the forums.
- We re-added game linking on game profiles.
- We tied by the newly added games page.
- A typo on the edit profile page was corrected.
- Fixed an issue where all game reviews would show on users profiles instead of only ones that were approved.
- Platform labels on search result pages now link to the platforms page.
- We've paginated the site news.
- On the backend, we've written from the ground up, User, Database, and Game classes. These will greatly help speed up many parts of the website.
- Fixed an issue with setting the hours played for a game.
- We corrected an issue with emoji in the forums.
- An issue with forum post counts was fixed.
- An issue with the source link for the description of a game was fixed.
- The requirement to rate dropped games was removed.
- Verbiage on several pages include the FAQs was fixed.
- We now have the ability to easily turn on and off game requests in the forums.
- We removed the feed privacy option.
- Donations through Stripe are now possible.
- The subject for comments on blog entries has been fixed.
- Resolved an issue with the wrong success and error messages showing when uploading new cover pictures.
- Corrected a bug which set the wrong user permissions when a donation was made.
- Force the site to load in HTTPS. SECURITAH!
- Fixed an issue with special characters not showing properly in the user feed.
- Resolved an issue with a '%' showing up in search results.
- Resolved an error message when a user hadn't rated any games yet.
- Adjusted the 'sign in' icon on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue with a missing Submit button on forum pages.
- Allow special characters in blog entry titles.
- Fixed a bug preventing game profile pages from fully rendering.
- One of the URLs in the new account signup email was broken. Fixed now!
- Fixed a code issue on single blog entry pages.
- Resolved an issue with game reviews not showing up in user profile pages.
- The user picture in the sidebar is now linked to your profile.
- Fixed a bug with genres not showing on game profile pages.
- Corrected a redirection issue on private profile pages.
- Data input validation to gamer tags and social profile usernames has been added.
- Set the modify time on an account when they reset their password.
- Fixed a big bad bug when setting your forum signature.
- Added backend code to handle the new Fan Game Requests forum.
- Added the 'My Forum Posts' tab on user profiles.
So while it may seem like things haven't been happening. We do try to sneak in some development whenever we have a free moment. I greatly appreciate everyone who is reporting bugs and testing things out.
So what are the plans for the coming months and year? Here are a couple things we hope to get going in the near future.
- Complete our email notification system overhaul. This is going to speed up the process when you leave a comment on a news article, on a game, etc...
- Build a group chatroom.
- Finish converting the site over to our new PHP classes.
- Show a platform breakdown on user profiles.
- Allow users to select the consoles they own and show them off in their profiles.
You can see a lot of the features we have accepted and hope to take action on here:
You can even create your own feature requests!
I'd also like to thank anyone who spared $5.00 and helped keep the site afloat. As noted in my blog post 100% of the donations go into server rentals. Myself, nor Morgan, or anyone who volunteers their time has made a single cent from running MyVideoGameList. We do it because we love video games. Hopefully the above gives you a little insight into how much work we do.
I think that will do it for now, until next time!
@jimmyb & The MyVideoGameList Team
Thorrash on January 01, 2016 @ 7:28 pm
Hey everyone! 2015 has come to a close, and a lot of great games have been released and enjoyed by us all. We've put together some of MVGL's admins' favorite games from the past year. Hopefully you've had a chance to play them, but if not you should add them to your to-play list!
Picked by morgan
As someone who has never gotten into or had any sort of interest in card games, Blizzard has done a fantastic job sucking me into the world of Hearthstone. Being able to play within a world and with characters that I'm already familiar with was just one part of it. Blizzard made this card game dead simple, anyone could pick it up and understand the mechanics of it in a short amount of time. I also very much enjoyed how they offered downloadable content at a decent price which enabled me to play solo and not against a real person. I also enjoyed working hard to get the unique card back for each month. The game lends itself to generally quick matches so it was easy to pick up and play for 15-20 minutes without having to worry about spending an hour or more between save points as with a traditional game. I'm excited to see what 2016 has to bring for Hearthstone!
Picked by jimmyb
This year has been incredibly busy for me, so finding a game that I could get a few quick matches in without having to dedicate hours at a time was a big deal. As a huge fan of Star Wars and the shooter genre, I chose Star Wars Battlefront to be my game of the year. Yeah, it crept in at the end of the year, but I can honestly say it's the game I've had the most fun with in 2015. I love the large and highly details maps. I love being able to fly an X-Wing or hop into an AT-ST to blast away some rebels. I highly enjoyed playing the Supremacy and AT-AT Walker modes for multiplayer. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the DLC is going to offer in 2016.
Picked by BroRocker
An epic conclusion to the Starcraft II story, Legacy of the Void is probably my favorite of the series. The missions are diverse, fun, and even challenging when they need to be. Both old and new, the characters in this game are great and I really like the closure we get on all of their stories that go all the way back to the first Starcraft in 1998. Also, the cut scenes in this game are stunning and probably the best Blizzard have ever made. To top it all off, they’ve added co-op missions which only add to the already top-notch multiplayer experience. All in all, Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void is a great game that is the pinnacle of one of the greatest franchises in gaming history and that’s why it’s my game of the year!
Picked by Thorrash
Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's long-awaited entry into the MOBA scene. As the grandfather of the genre (since Warcraft III was where DOTA was born), Blizzard had a lot of hype to live up to. I would like to say that they delivered with Heroes of the Storm. The major difference between Heroes of the Storm and its competitors is simple: accessibility. Heroes is much more streamlined than League of Legends or DOTA 2, but that's not a bad thing. I don't feel like I need to keep a sheet of mandatory builds or items just to be competitive, and I don't feel like I need to spend hundreds of hours playing to be as good as other people. Maps are one of Heroes most defining differences as well. Each map has objectives that you want to complete to win the game. Some maps have you taking over an area to use turrets, gathering items to summon monsters, and more. Heroes of the Storm almost feels like the Super Smash Bros of MOBAs. Not only is it accessible, but you get to romp around with established characters from your favorite Blizzard games while doing stuff the competition doesn't offer.
Picked by notjim99
Nintendo gave Wii U owners a treat this year with their newest IP, Splatoon. Taking the tried-and-true formula of the online shooter and giving them the good old Nintendo spin, Splatoon shows gamers that online shooters don't need to be filled with gore and grunge. Gamers this year have enjoyed Splatoon so much that it won "Best Shooter" at this year's The Game Awards, beating out high profile releases like Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and Halo 5.
Picked by soullesssolace
Disgaea 5 brings NIS's flagship series to the PS4, along with all of its crazy demonic antics. D5 adds a number of features to this tactics series, including fusion skills between certain characters and a revenge system that gives units a bonus when their allies fall in battle. Disgaea 5 offers over 100 hours of entertainment for die-hard fans, along with the comedy you've come to expect from the franchise.
Soccer with rocket-propelled race cars. How crazy is that concept? Rocket League shows just how insane that concept is with this gem of a game. Rocket League gives players high-octane, fast-paced matches that keep players coming back for more. Need more proof? This indie game won "Best Independent Game" and "Best Sports/Racing Game" at this year's The Game Awards, and was nominated for "Best Multiplayer Game."
Let us know what your favorite game of 2015 was in the comments section! Hopefully 2016 bring even more amazing games for us all to enjoy. Happy New Year!
jimmyb on December 27, 2015 @ 4:06 pm
Happy Holidays everyone! Today we've rolled out version 6.0 of the site. I hope everyone enjoys it. We'd very much appreciate it anyone who comes across a bug or an issue while using the site to report it to our Bug Forum.
We'll be continuing to work on this template and adjusting any issues we see. We hope this year to add some new functionality into the site. I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates this past year. I have taken on a new job at my company and haven't been able to dedicate any time to the site. I've also got a couple other web projects I've been working on. If only I could be paid to work on this site, I definitely would!
Of note, at this time we have also closed off game requests as we're simply far to back logged at the moment. We have something like 1500 pending requests in the forums and 2200 pending requests in the queue. Once we're able to get these down to a manageable place we'll re-open requests.
Have a safe, fun and game filled holiday season!
jimmyb on November 21, 2015 @ 4:00 pm
We've been working hard on the next version of MyVideoGameList. While we've only got a single screenshot of 6.0.0 to show you, hopefully it gets everyone excited. We're planning to have a much cleaner and easier to use interface to start with.
We'll be continuing to work hard and push for a release on or before December 30. In the mean time we hope you enjoy this small sneak peek and hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving, Christmas/Holiday season!
jimmyb on October 25, 2015 @ 6:54 pm
It's been quite some time since we lasted updated you all. I have been extremely busy and simply don't have the time nor energy to keep the site properly updated with code fixes and new features. I sincerely apologize for that. That said let me fill you in on what's going on.
Presently we've had very little time to do any real work on the site. What few volunteers we do have, have been working hard to process the massive amount of game requests we receive. Unfortunately as you've likely noticed we've fallen quite behind with handling them. Nonetheless we're continuing to leave the request forum open and we will handle them as best we can. If anyone is interested in joining our team please check out our jobs page!
We've recently updated the template on the site, and to be honest, we're not 100% in love with it. It was a rushed job and a poor one at that. For that we greatly apologize. If everyone has some patience we have already picked out a new template and would like to have the site updated to use it by December 31, 2015. I know this might seem like a while, and 2 months is a bit away, however given the time constraints we aleady have that is what we can commit to at this time. I think you're all going to like the new layout, and t's look and feel It should be a lot more mobile friendly as well!
A final word, I thank you all for checking out and using MyVideoGameList.com, if I could make it a full time job I really would. The community has been incredibly supportive, we've had some fantastic ideas from members and I've been able to meet some really wonderful people. I'd like to take a minute and thank all those who have volunteered and to those who have stuck with us. I'd like to make a specific shout out to nagizuma who has been with us for quite a long time now and has done an awesome job knocking out many many game requests. I'd also like to thank morgan who has worked countless hours developing the code which runs the website. I am so thankful I have been given the opportunity to create this community and bring together all sorts of gamers. We have 2 more months left in the year, and we'll be working hard to add more games into the database, bring to you a new layout and hopefully a new feature or two!
jimmyb on March 06, 2015 @ 12:23 pm
Today we've pushed out a huge bunch of code. We call it version 4.0. While we certainly expect there to be some bugs and broken things, we're hoping there's not to many. If anyone comes across something which isn't working and hasn't already been reported in our Site Issues and Bug Reports forum, please, please, please (!!) open a new thread and report the issue you're seeing. Please include as much information as possible and give screenshots as necessary. We'd like to get all the bugs squished before we start working on any new features.It should also be worth noting that we're still working on styling and resolving issues in the forums, so if the forums seem a bit wonky, note we are continually working on them!
Have a great weekend everyone! Don't play too many games!
Psssht, who are we kidding, GAME AWAY!
jimmyb on February 18, 2015 @ 1:34 pm
We've been recently discussing internally on the team that it may be time to add a new category to our game lists. We see a need for another category that allows us to categorize games which we're perpetually and possibly infinitely playing. Games that come to mind in this category would be games which may not have a set end, titles like World of Warcraft, or playing multiplayer Call of Duty or Counter Strike, or even The Sims.
We'd like to reach out to the community to help us come up with a name for this new category. Please give it some thought and let us know what you think the name/title of this new category should be called. Leave your suggestion in the comments!
jimmyb on January 23, 2015 @ 7:00 pm
This past week we've been busy working on a new feature which allows everyone to setup their own blogs on the site. Now you can chronicle your gaming adventures with ease right here! To get started you can visit your blog page and click on the 'Add Entry' button to write your first entry!
You can use Markdown and emoji within your entries. I suggest checking out my personal blog post here to see what sorts of fun things you can do!
You can also set privacy levels on who can and can't see your blog posts (at a per post level), you can allow or disallow comments on your entries and you can set your blog posts and published or unpublished.
If you ever want to edit a blog entry you can visit the entry itself and click on the Edit button or go to your Edit Profile page and you'll see a new tab for Blog Entries.
We'll be adding pagination to the blog pages so when you fill up one page worth of entries you can go back to see old entries with ease. We don't have an ETA on this, but we are hoping to complete it by the end of the month.
Other things we'd like to get done within this Milestone (which has a completion date of April 31, 2015) are:
- Adding Pagination to blog pages (/blog and /myblog)
- Sending a notification when someone adds you as a friend to those who have the notification enabled
- Add more styling to the post bits on the forum
- Complete our group chatroom (no more manual refreshing)
- Add a friend feed which shows you what your friends are up to
- Add an RSS feed to the sites new blog
- Add more privacy options
- Add a groups feature
While we can't guarantee if and when all of the items will be completed, it's certainly our goal to get these worked on and completed as soon as we can!
As usual, please report any bugs or issues to our support forums, it's greatly appreciated!
jimmyb on January 02, 2015 @ 1:11 pm
This year has gone by so incredibly quickly. I feel like we were just beginning 2014. I hope everyone has had a fun, game-filled 2014! I know we've got a bunch of games and game-related things to look forward too in 2015! Xbox One and Playstation 4 are going on their second year. Nintendo Wii is hanging in there, I know I'm certainly looking forward to the new Legend of Zelda game.
Around the site, we've been working on various bug fixes and building our database. As you've likely noticed we've gotten swamped with requests and are quite behind in adding them into our database. We're looking for immediate fulfillment of two positions on our team, a Game Submitter and a Games Database Administrator. You can find out more about what these positions are and what the job entails on our jobs page. We're looking for people who have some time to dedicated and want to help build our library of games.
Often I see the question, why can't anyone add games into the database? The answer is quite simple. Quality. When MyVideoGameList previously opened we did allow anyone to add games into the database. This seemed like a great idea at first, but when we started getting tons of poorly put together descriptions and game information we had to stop. The quality of database is very important. We want information about each game to be correct and of the best quality. In order to do this, we have a team of wonderful people who gather all the required information and then another team of equally as wonderful people to review and double check that information and then finally add the game into our database.
That said, please, if you have time and are looking to help out a good cause, please, visit our jobs page, we'd love to have people who understand what we're trying to do and want to help us build a great site, join our team. Just a few hours a week, would really help us out!
To everyone who has used and enjoyed using our website in 2014, thank you. Thank you for being apart of our growing community. Thank you to those of you who submit suggestions on how we can make our community better. I personally read through each suggestion and we've gotten some really really good suggestions. I really hope I can find the time and knowledge to learn how to add this suggestions to the site so they become reality! MyVideoGameList has been a HUGE learning project for me. It's been completely coded from the ground up. I do this all in my spare time, but it's definitely been well worth it to have been able to build such a fantastic community with amazingly passionate gamers and community members.
In the last few months we were able to squish lots of bugs and add a couple new features:
- Issues with game names in email notifications were fixed
- Username mentioning in the chatroom was made possible (will be expanded to the entire site soon)
- We've added new staff to the team
- Added verbiage to the review page when no one had completed or favorited the game
- Switched from using Emojify to EmojiOne
- Fixed a bug when editing your profile
- Allowed users to setup forum signatures
- Fixed an issue where HTML was being stripped from the welcome comment left on new user profiles
- Show a message in the chatroom if no users are online
- New profile fields have been added (e.g., Twitch)
- FontAwesome was updated
- Added a message to the search results page showing user what they searched for
- If there was only one result for a search then we send the user to it
- The game names are now shown in the URLs for reviews
- Custom error pages
- Show new message if no search results - direct user on how to submit a request in forums
- Fix issues when trying to set a game to replaying
- Change emoji images to Twemoji
- Resolved issues related to setting and updating forum signatures
- Use icons on the profile pages, saves room
- Fix an issue with privacy settings not being respected in the feed
- Add pagination to the platform pages
- Allow users to rate various aspects of games when writing reviews
- Fix an issue with start and finish dates when editing a game on your list
It's definitely been a busy last few months, and our todo list isn't getting any smaller!
Thank you again for being apart of our community! Happy 2015! Here's to another awesome year of gaming!
jimmyb on July 04, 2014 @ 10:49 am
A Happy 4th of July to those in the USA! We hope everyone is (hopefully) enjoying the day off, getting some gaming in and most importantly eating lots of good food!
We've been busy at work adding some new features and fixing bugs so hopefully everyone's had a bit smoother of an experience over the past couple weeks. Today we added emoji support into the site!
Now you can use all those awesome little emoji within:
- Your user bio
- Comments on your profile and your friends profiles
- Comments on game profiles
- Comments on news articles (like this one!)
- Comments on game reviews
- Your forum posts
- Chat messages
If there's any place we forgot to allow emoji's and you think we should, let us know!
So how do you use these awesome emoji's?! Well it's easy, you can reference this website as a cheat sheet! We've already got some of our favorite ones memorized!
We've also added the ability to resend account activation emails. Didn't get yours,? Just email us at [email protected] and we'll send another activation email your way!
Other Bug Fixes: - Fixed a bug on game profiles where it wouldn't show the correct usernames. - Updated logic behind start and finish times for games on your list. - Fixed an issue with screen locking not working properly. - Fixed a bug preventing user pics from being uploaded. - Fixed an issue with checking the status of a game in your list when editing the list entry. - Fixed issue in which users could sign up with duplicate usernames and email address. - Fixed styling issue for friends boxes on profile pages. - Fixed the link to add a game to your list directly from search results page. - Fixed issue with support forums (it wasn't allowing you to select the resolved/un-resolved from drop-down menu). - Added more error traps in so you know what happened during an error. - Added a search form to the forums. - Did a massive code cleanup.
Needless to say we've been pretty busy during this milestone. At present we have about 3 more issues we want to close to consider the milestone complete. Once it is finished we'll be working on a feature milestone which means we should see a bunch more cool things happening!
To all you awesome gamers, thank you for being apart of the community and helping us grow. Have a fantastic Friday and wonderful 4th of July!
Recent Gamer Updates
Most Popular Games
Added By: 3007 people.
Added By: 2732 people.
Added By: 2640 people.
Added By: 2290 people.
Added By: 2286 people.
Added By: 2278 people.
Added By: 2146 people.
Added By: 2120 people.
Added By: 1991 people.
Added By: 1939 people.